Welcome

This is the forum from which I publicize my thoughts and observations of the world around us. There is no particular theme to my writings in these posts other than to put down the random ramblings that float around in my head in hopes of providing some insight about life.

The subjects so far have ranged from the weather to life on Mars. You never quite know what will show up on this page (neither do I really, from week to week), but I like to think it will always be entertaining.

The goal is to generate intrigue and breed original thought in the readers' mind. I hope you enjoy!

Monday, October 1, 2012

Small Talk



“Oh man, it’s almost Friday.” “Beautiful day out there, isn’t it?” Am I the only one who can’t stand small talk? I cringe every time I hear someone say, “only a few hours ‘til the end of the day!” Yet I say crap like that all the time. I fancy myself a bit of a writer, a creative mind (at least a mind with occasional creativity). Even so, I somehow can’t come up with anything better to say than a phrase that has probably already been uttered 500 times that day alone.
This is one of my most heavily petted peeves. Obviously, I’m aware that small talk developed out of the polite obligation not to tell people we don’t actually want to converse with to buzz off. I am also aware that I slightly resemble an uppity complainer with this rant, but bear with me.   
What if literature and movies bought into the practice of small talk? Romeo would have scaled the balcony of his love Juliet and then said something like, “Hey, how’s it going? Nice night, isn’t it?” Han Solo and Luke Skywalker would have awkwardly chit chatted about the inconvenience of space junk while they were cruising through hyperspace. I shudder at the thought.    
I wonder if there’s small talk in the West Wing. Does the Secretary of Defense ask President Obama if he has anything exciting planned for the weekend? What about the water cooler at the CIA? Do really smart and intellectual folks spend their whole week chatting about how close they are to the weekend? I hope there is some remote part of the country where people reject this mind-numbing routine and actually carry on substantial conversations.
I challenge myself and you to participate in zero small talk today. None. If someone says, “any plans for the weekend,” respond with a detailed itinerary. If someone says, “What’s going on?” Answer with exactly what you have going on at that moment, “I’m on my way to take a leak and then probably read fantasy football articles for an hour.” You know what Barney Stinson would say to a challenge. Accept it.
Feel free to leave some classic small talk in the comments.   

No comments:

Post a Comment